Beer and Wine Licenses vs. Restaurant Beer and Wine Licenses

Have you ever wondered that the difference between a Beer and Wine License and a Restaurant Beer/Wine License is?  I can help you with that 

Beer and Wine Licenses do not have an many rules and regulations as the Restaurant Beer/Wine License so we will jump into the RBWs first.

On-Premise Consumption Restaurant Beer/Wine Licenses:

Restaurant Beer/Wine License used to be called “Cabaret Licenses”, and some people still refer them as this. 

·  The owner of a Restaurant Beer/Wine License (“RBW”) must be the Licensee and the Restaurant Operator, so in other words, you are not able to concession this license type with anyone. 

·  All patrons that order beer and wine must also order food.  This is not an option folks.  The hours of operations for a RBW is between 11:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. only, meaning no beer and wine can be served prior to 11:00 a.m. or after 11:00 p.m., this also in not an option folks.    

·  Cannot sell any beer or wine for off-premise consumption.  All beer and wine must be consumed at the restaurant prior to leaving the restaurant.

·  The restaurant must serve evening dinner meals at least 4 days a week between the hours of 5:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.

·  At least 65% of the restaurant’s annual gross income must come from food sales with the remaining % for beer and wine sales.

·  The majority of the food and drinks have to be in non-disposable containers except for take-out food orders. 

Beer and Wine On-Premise Consumption Licenses:

·  With this license type, there can be a Licensee and a Restaurant Operator and the Licensee can concession their License to the Restaurant Operator.

·  You can sell beer and wine for off-premise package sales. 

·  The hours of operation can be from 8:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m. (if one chose to stay open that late).

·  No food has to be sold when beer or wine is ordered.

Please let us know if we can help you out with any liquor licensing questions.

Until next time 

A real estate lawyer in Belgrade, MT, can help you navigate the liquor laws in Montana, contact Silverman Law Office, PLLC, for more information.