3 Situations That Could Affect Motorcycle Accident Compensation

3 Situations That Could Affect Motorcycle Accident Compensation

While there are some motorcycle accidents that are caused by the biker, there are more in which the driver of another vehicle is at fault. If you were injured in a motorcycle accident that was caused by another driver, you might be entitled to compensation. Not every case is as black and white as it might seem, however. The following are three situations that could affect the amount of compensation you’re entitled to for your motorcycle accident.

1. Speeding

If you were speeding at the time of your accident, there’s a chance the compensation amount will be lower. Each state runs things a little differently, but in most cases, the percentage of which your speeding was involved in the accident will determine the percentage of compensation you’re allowed to receive.

For example, if you are going 20 mph over the speed limit through a green light and someone runs the red coming from the other direction, that other individual might hold most of the responsibility for the accident, such as 80%. If you weren’t speeding, you may have had time to react and avoid the accident, so you might hold a small percentage of blame, such as the other 20%. In that case, you’d lose 20% of the settlement, and would only receive an 80% portion of it.

2. Not Wearing a Helmet

If you chose not to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle, that could have an effect on compensation. If your injuries had nothing to do with your head or brain, you might be able to receive full compensation, but if your injuries were head injuries, you may not be able to receive some or all.

For example, if you didn’t have a helmet on and were in an accident that severed your leg, you would probably be entitled to all compensation relating to surgery and therapy involving your leg. If you also received a brain injury, any medical bills related to recovery for the brain injury might be exempt from compensation.

3. Not Wearing Reflective Clothing

Especially if you’re riding at night, it may lessen compensation if you are hit by someone and you don’t have reflective clothing on. It can be hard to see motorcyclists to begin with, and when they’re in dark clothes, it makes it even harder. There’s a chance the percentage of fault would again come into play when determining compensation.

Hiring a Lawyer

When you’re in a motorcycle accident, the injuries could cost a lot to get taken care of. You deserve compensation, and an experienced lawyer, like a motorcycle accident lawyer from Yearin Law Office, can help you seek what you deserve. Contact and hire a lawyer today.